Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Vivian- Thank you so much for your comment, I think it is great that you want to help. I was planning on coming home and sending a bunch of stuff over to them. In the weeks to come I will post the hospitals address with a list of things that are needed. I really appreciate your support! thanks :-)

Hello all, Today was one of the most intense days I have had yet. In my previous post I spoke of a woman who needed her catheter changed (which it was), she fell into a coma last Friday, and died this morning. Its really weird, I have never had a client die on me before. I also went to physical therapy with one of my clients who had a stroke which has affected her left side. I have never NEVER heard a woman in so much pain in my entire life. It sounded like she was being attacked. She held my hand so tight as the doctor was moving her leg screaming "ABENEA SEWA!!!, SEVER PAIN!!" she repeated this over and over again, looking into my eyes and crying. I assured her that she was doing good, and that i was proud of her but it was really intense. I go back to my office and one of the other interns had a client die on her today as well. Both families were very upset and needed our attention. I cant help but wonder, would these people have died if they had the proper medical equipment? I am mostly numb right now. I can still hear my client screaming my name.
I need sometime to myself to process all this, and it is hard because there are people everywhere. Today the interns and I went out to dinner after work, which really helped. It was good to get out and walk around. I was so involved with her family, and now I will never see them again not because I was saying goodbye, but because she said goodbye. I just realized in this profession that I have chosen for myself, since I do want to work in a hospital I am going to have a lot of people die on me. These people will die when the are ready, not when I am ready SO I guess I am going to have to learn how to deal with it.

4 comments:

Vivian said...

Tough stuff you are dealing with. I guess when it is all shook out said and done you have to let go and let God work in His time. Then you can move forward and focus on the ones that are still alive and need what you have to offer. It takes special people to do this work and you must know that God has given you the gifts you need to succeed on your path. Stay strong and know that you have a support system behind you.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, you are one special lady because I could never ever do what you are doing over there. The world needs more people like you.

George said...

AS much as it hurts, I know you are where God wants and needs you to be. Sometimes, when we identify that all we do is part of something bigger then ourselves, we tend to find the resolve we need to get through.

I am with Viv on the whole "rallying the OC" to help. Let us know dude and you know we will work it!

Jazz said...

My sweet sister,
I pray that you are able to find comfort in knowing that you are providing these families with a form of healing. Your love and support not only strengthens your patients, but extends to their families in their time of need. God chose you and your friends to do his work in that hospital. I'm so proud of you and your strength. I love you so much!