Friday, July 13, 2007

Some interesting things in Africa.

There are so many people selling things on the streets that you could basically do your grocery shopping on the way to work. People sell apples, cookies, drinks, bread, sugar cane, dog leashes, clothing hooks, hangers, adapters, cards, water, cheese, chips (plantain's), toilet papers, soap, sponges...the list goes on and on. They walk up and down the streets, risking their lives (and I really mean risking) to make a living. Before I leave I am going to ask one of the ladies to teach me how to balance all that stuff on my head ( I am also going to ask them to teach me how to put a baby on my back).
You cannot use your left hand for anything. The left hand is the hand you are supposed to clean yourself with so offering that hand to someone is considered rude (I have a hard time with this one).

I went to the children's orphanage on Thursday, how I wish I could have taken pictures. These kids are so beautiful. I dont know what it is, I mean the kids in the US are beautiful, but there is just something so extraordinarily special about these kids. We also went to the jr. correctional facility ( I will have to tell you about that when I get home...but it was crazy, and very sad).

I wish I could express in words what I am going through, and what I am seeing but I cant (I am hoping to do much better when I get home). I dont feel sorry for these people, nor do I feel sad for them because for the most part they are happy (they dont know different). Maybe I feel sad and sorry for myself, that I never truly learned how to have this level of happiness when I "have" less. Really I dont think it is even about material things, the haves or the have not's, I am not sure what it is about but there is just something here that is so much different and special. I am not sure I will ever know what it is, but I know that I will forever feel it.

2 comments:

George said...

I love the words you write each post Lisa so do not worry about how your message comes across. I think all of us reading get what you are saying.

I am excited to meet the new Lisa.

Jazz said...

Sometimes in life...there are no words. Your posts are very clear and full of your emotions. No worries....you are wonderful.

kisses